Pages

Thursday 2 June 2011

Musings - Mama Kat's Workshop (2nd June 2010)

Comfort food at it’s finest. Share a family favorite recipe you loved as a child.

As a child I was an extremely fussy eater. I drove my Mother crazy. I refused to eat anything resembling a vegetable, I would only ever eat cheese sandwiches for lunch and nothing on my plate could be touching; I would even demand that my spaghetti be separate from my bolognese. I would mess with my food to such an extent that she found it impossible to watch me eat. I am better now, with older age, I even eat Goat's cheese for Peter's sake, but I can imagine I was horrid at the time.

Then one day while making a stew my Mother paused half way through her recipe, deciding to give something new a try, and from hence forth my favourite meal as a child was born. It was named...

Mince and Tatties (pronounced Tay-tees)

And pretty much was mince, potatoes and gravy. But I loved it. It comforted and it tasted amazing. So this is the recipe I am going to share. Hang on to your hats, there are five ingredients, it's going to test you. :)

Ingredients:

250g minced beef
5 medium sized potatoes
A pinch of salt
1 OXO (beef stock cube)
Water




Instructions:

1. Peel and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
2. Brown the mince in a large stock pan until cooked.
3. Add the potatoes, salt, OXO cube and enough water to cover the contents of the pan.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
5. Serve in a large bowl with crusty bread.

Delicious!
Extremely basic but then my Mother was fighting to the death with an angsty seven year old. 

Enjoy. :)

Mama’s Losin’ It

2 comments:

Go on... say it. :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...